Redcar Directory

Redcar is a seaside resort in the North East of England, and the principal town in the unitary authority of Redcar and Cleveland in the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire. It lies 7.5 miles (12.1 km) east-northeast of Middlesbrough by the North Sea coast. The combined population of the wards of Coatham, Dormanstown, Kirkleatham, Newcomen, West Dyke and Zetland was 36,610 in the 2001 census.

Redcar originated as a fishing town in the early 14th century, trading with the larger adjacent market town of Coatham. Until the mid 19th century it was a sub-parish of the village of Marske-by-the-Sea, when Redcar emerged as a seaside tourist destination. With the opening of the Middlesbrough to Redcar Railway in 1846, Redcar became a resort for Victorian tourists.