Hemel Hempstead Directory

Hemel Hempstead is a town in Hertfordshire in the south east of England, 27 miles (43.5 km) to the north west of London. The population at the 2001 Census was 81,143 (but now estimated at around 89,000 by Hertfordshire County Council).

Developed after World War II as a new town, it has existed as a settlement since the 8th century and was granted its town charter by King Henry VIII in 1539. It is part of the district (and borough since 1984) of Dacorum and the Hemel Hempstead constituency. 

The grand design for Hemel Hempstead newtown saw each new district centred around a parade or square of shops called a neighborhood centre. Other districts existed before the newtown as suburbs, villages and industrial centers and were incorporated into the town including Adeyfield, Apsley, Bennetts End, Boxmoor, Chaulden, Cupid Green, Felden, Gadebridge, Grovehill, Highfield, Leverstock Green, Nash Mills, Warner's End and Woodhall Farm.